On Aug 2, 2004, at 9:25 AM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Jeff Donovan wrote:

I'm running a transparent cache with squid guard. My problem seems to
be How do I split my traffic?

This you do in your router in case of transparently intercepting proxies..
If you are not using a TCP interception device capable of tracking
individual connections then this is most easily done by splitting the
destination IP address space among the caches. CARP does so automatically
for you.

or how do i create a failover if one squid server becomes to busy?

best done by an external load balancer. Linux Virtual Server is a good free one, highend routers & switches usually also have reasonable load balancing functions built in.

would this be a placed on a linux server in front of the two cache's or does it run on the same device as squid?

Unfortunately my layer 3 switch does not allow for multiple default routes or even a policy route. Otherwise i would have just routed my traffic to the new interface.
-j
jeff donovan
basd network operations
(610) 807 5571 x41