I've read so much Squid documentation that my head is spinning now. I just want to clear up one point before I expend any more brain bytes.

If I set up squid to work transparently, ala FAQ 17.1 does than mean that there is absolutely NO WAY I will ever be able to get squid to figure out who is logged in at the machine that made the request? And thus, no usernames in the access.log?

I just want to make sure that this is the behavior referenced in the discussions about proxy-auth. So I can control access by the IP address of the machine, but not by user. Squid is not allowed by the RFC to ask anything back to the requesting machine, because the requester is not expecting squid to be there in the middle. Is this correct so far?

So the least intrusive way to make this work, and to have the names to to not use squid in a transparent mode and use the automatic configuration script from FAQ 5.2?

Thanks,
Joe.