I am feverishly looking for the link, but I read a fabulous article on
the 'Net that compared heap replacement algorithms and caching
filesystems. It was very involved and gave lots of benchmark data.
Anyone out there on the list got a link to it?

I would think that your hit/miss ratio and heap replacement is going to
have a great deal more effect upon peformance than switching from ufs to
aufs on a single platter. That said, I still consider myself a novice at
using Squid.