>From the "free" man page:

free displays the total amount of free and used physical and swap memory in
the system, as well as the shared memory and buffers used by the kernel.

This leads me to believe that your system is using 3,756 MB of RAM, and of
that, your kernel is using 1,129 MB.  Redhat's manual gives much the same
picture:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/admin-primer/s1-memory
-rhlspec.html

I would strongly advise against removing the swap partition.  Then again,
I'm not a kernel hacker, and may have a poor understanding of what I'm
reading.  *shrug*

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 11:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [squid-users] Slow Squid

On 16.11 12:32, Sturgis, Grant wrote:
> Another shot from today:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# free -m
>              total       used       free     shared    buffers
> cached
> Mem:          3778       3758         20          0        497
> 2194
> -/+ buffers/cache:       1065       2713
> Swap:         8997        807       8190
>
> Doesn't this say 807 MB of swap being used?  Certainly that cannot be
> good.

No, that only means that 807MB of your virtual memory are (also) stored on
swap partition. This is a way how linux works with swap, and should do any
harm. However, with 4GB of RAM and only ~1GB of it used, you can safely
turn swap off and you won't see this (and I think you won't loose any
noticeable performance)

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/