marc elsen wrote:

I have noticed a strange behaviour of squid:
I have 4 disks of different size dedicated for cache_dirs in my machine.
With 4 cache_dirs of equal size (small enough to fit all disk sizes) all directories are used evenly.
After increasing to of the cache_dir located on the bigger disks the smaller cache_dirs are no longer used to store new objects.

What is the selection criteria when squid chooses the cache_dir?

Is there any explanation to this behaviour?

There is a parameter called

      store_dir_selection_algorithm

in squid.conf.default , if I remember its name correctly.
Check it out, by reading the comment.

M.

Aaaarg, why can't I remember those parameters when I need them, I have seen this countless times when browsing through squid.conf :-(
I think I could solve my problem by using round-robin, which is pretty much self explaining. One question remains: What is squid's opinion of "least-load" ?

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer