On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

As far as I know, Squid doesn't support gzip/deflate.

Correct. Squid can not gzip/deflate content on the fly.

But there is obviously no problem for Squid to forward gzipped content from the web server.

As I was playing with Ethereal, I captured some packets between Squid and my Apache, and to my surprise, these were compressed using gzip/deflate!

Which is fine, as long as the server sends the proper Vary headers..

The pages saved in Squid cache were not compressed, though, but this is not an issue.

Squid caches the compressed version if allowed by the web server.

Regards
Henrik