From: Henrik Nordstrom [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:51 PM
To: Prashant Kulkarni
Cc: squid-users@squid-cache.org
Subject: Re: [squid-users] Squid FTP authentication problem.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Prashant Kulkarni wrote:

> I am facing problem while accessing any ftp sites using squid proxy. My
> proxy is behind the firewall.
>
> When I am trying ftp://ftp.site.com from IE 6 instead of asking user name
> and password it is throw following error message.

A ftp URL of ftp://ftp.site.com is defined in the Internet standards as
anonymous FTP.

> When I am doing ftp://username:[EMAIL PROTECTED] I am able to view and
> download the files hosted on the site.

This is the standard method of doing non-anonymous FTP using URLs.

To make things more complex MSIE does not appear to support authentication
on proxied FTP URLs so the proxy can not cleanly ask the browser for
authentication when receiving a "login failed" message from the FTP
server. Many other browsers do seem to support this, and is used by Squid
if you request ftp://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/ (without password).

Regards
Henrik