On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Bonnici Daniel wrote:

I installed Fedora Core 4 and then I installed squid 2.5rc12. The path for the
squid.conf is /usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf  but I noticed that the squid
that came with FC is under /etc/squid/squid.conf. How can I overwrite the squid
that came with FC? Even I installed webmin and the defaults seems to point to
the squid that FC came with. I know that I can change the paths but I would
like to do it in the proper way..

The best way to keep everything compatible is to rebuild the RPM based on the new Squid version. Just grab the latest Fedora development SRPM, install it then edit /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/squid.spec to suit your needs and finally rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/squid.spec to build the new RPM.

Note: It is adviceable to use a release number of 0.something for homebrewed temporary upgrades. This way you won't collide too much with a later official upgrade.

Regards
Henrik