Okay I have an update with more progress - it seems the problem is only to
do with ntlmssp. If I only have a basic authenticator - which looks like the
following, it works perfectly:

auth_param basic program /usr/optec/ntlm_auth.sh basic
auth_param basic children 10
auth_param basic realm server.opteqint.net Cache NTLM Authentication
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

(ntlm_auth.sh runs the ntlm_auth squid-2.5-basic helper)

I see the following debug messages:

[2005/11/09 13:20:43, 3] utils/ntlm_auth.c:check_plaintext_auth(292)
  NT_STATUS_OK: Success (0x0)

However, when I use ntlmssp in the squid config, shown below, it does not
work:

auth_param ntlm program /usr/optec/ntlm_auth.sh ntlmssp
auth_param ntlm children 10
auth_param ntlm use_ntlm_negotiate yes

I see the following debug messages:
[2005/11/09 13:22:37, 3] libsmb/ntlmssp.c:ntlmssp_server_auth(606)
  Got user=[ianb] domain=[MASTERMIND] workstation=[LUCY] len1=24 len2=24
[2005/11/09 13:22:37, 3] utils/ntlm_auth.c:winbind_pw_check(427)
  Login for user [EMAIL PROTECTED] failed due to [Wrong Password]

If I type ian instead of ianb, I see an error saying the user does not
exist. This must mean that somehow the wrong password is being passed in the
wrong way - even though it is typed right.

For anyone who hasn't read the rest of this thread please note: this only
happens with the security option on the AD server set to ONLY allow
NTLMv2/LMv2 and not anything else. If we turn that off it works perfectly...

As I understand it the password doesn't come to squid in plaintext when its
using ntlmssp, and I believe that there is some kind of handling problem
with that now? If I type in the password on the command line with the
ntlm_auth program, it is able to validate it just fine using NTLMv2 -
enforcing my belief that something is wrong here...

Any suggestions AT ALL would be appreciated...

Thanks
Dave