Hi,

I have a problem with SQUID. I configured squid to use a parent cache
(it HAS to use the parent cache since the box has no direct internet
connection). I have no access to the parent cache.
The problem is: Sometimes the parent cache can't resolve hostnames,
while the local box running MY squid is still able to (don't as why, I
suppose university networks have to be broken :) ).

What I want my Squid to do, is resolving hostnames locally and then send
the request to the parent cache. I played with never_direct,
prefer_direct and the default keyword in the parents cache entry, but
to no avail.

Funnily from searching the mailing list I found other people seem to
have the opposite problem: Their squid tries to query the DNS, which is
unwanted. Perhaps we can swap our squid boxes :)

Any ideas?

MfG

Sebastian Schildt