Hello All,

Francesco Ranieri wrote:

> Do you know selinux ? I read that "context=system_u:system_r:initrc_t"
> and i suppose it belongs to selinux, if you know what selinux is you
> can try to disable it and see if on reboot the original squid script
> works. If you don't know selinux, i suppose you can disable it
> changing the file /etc/sysconfig/selinux or /etc/selinux/config. If
> you don't find these files try an "updatedb && locate selinux". If
> those files exist change the "SELINUX=enforcing" variable setting and
> reboot. To check if selinux is enabled you can try also with
> "selinuxenabled;echo $?" if it returns 0 it's enabled. If you want to
> use selinux i suppose you'll have to modify the policies.
>
> Best Regards
> Francesco Ranieri

I think I have finally made a breakthrough thanks to Francesco.

Changing "SELINUX=enforcing" to "SELINUX=permissive" (displays warnings
instead of blocking) now allows squid to launch squidGuard at boot!

I haven't yet tested it fully but it does at least start the processes.
(I now have to go back and undo all the things I did when testing it and
try it from a standard set-up - groan).

Does anyone here know SELinux? I would like - eventually - to be able to
have it running with SELinux enabled. If someone could help me with this
(or point me to someone who can) then I will volunteer to write a How-To
for other users of squidGuard with Fedora Core 4+ (where SELinux is
enabled by default).

I still have much testing and set-up to do - so I am not finished yet -
but I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on these two
lists for all their help. Even after a couple of years of using Linux I
am still impressed by the unstinting devotion of the community, and its
members' willingness to give of their time and knowledge so freely to
help others. Thank You.

Mark