fre 2006-03-17 klockan 19:31 -0800 skrev Linda W:
> Mystery solved.
>
> My shell _expanded_ control sequences by default in echo. (echo "\1" ->
> becomes
> "echo ^A").
>
> Apparently there are literals in the configure script like "\\1" "\\2" that
> were trying to echo a literal '\1' into a "sed" script.  Instead it was
> echoed in as a control-A.

Hmm.. so you have replaced /bin/sh with something else than a UNIX
shell? Or was it you /bin/echo being different?

> Am I misremembering, aren't their systems were expanded echo is the default?

If so then the GNU autoconf people have not run into it yet..

Good you found what it was, and a way around the problem. Even better if
you would enlighten us what it was you were using causing the problem,
and how you worked around it.

Regards
Henrik