Thanks a ton for responding to my query.
Can SOCKS be part of squid.
I mean does SQUID provides the functionality of SOCKS too??

Thanks in advance.

On 18-Oct-06, at 3:58 PM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

ons 2006-10-18 klockan 11:44 +0530 skrev Om:

I want to what is a socks server,

SOCKS is a generic proxy protocol for proxying of any TCP based
application. It dosen't know details of the proxied protocols, and is
designed only for proxying not caching.

Many of the times the users on my LAN would require to connect to
machines on internet using ssh.
Will socks server help me in doing that.

Yes.

What are the advantages of using a socks server.

Supports any TCP/IP protocol, almost.

How to setup socks support to the squid server.

Just install a SOCKS proxy daemon next to Squid. Both runs happily on
the same server.

There is several free SOCKS servers available.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ss5 is one.

Regards
Henrik