Good Morning All,
I've set squid up as a reverse proxy and performing header based redirection to two servers.

Both of the two servers that are sitting behind squid require password authentication.

I've googled, trolled through the squid archives, and experimented and clearly I'm just not very clever, because I cannot seem to get authentication to work. I've found a lot of half answers but nothing that is clear enough for me (an admitted non guru)

Both of the servers normally ask for a username and password via a standard dialog. However behind the reverse proxy, they both just come back with access denied type messages, without a username/password prompt in sight.

What basic and blindingly obvious step am I missing?

Cheers
Jo