Squid 2.6 Stable 9.  Ok so if I understand you correctly, it will not
drop down to basic ever with IE since it is NTLM capable, it will just
prompt you for your credentials if the credentials that were provided
weren't a member of the specific  require-membership-of group.  And
that would explain why I never get prompted with the realm provided in
the basic authentication potion.

Thank you,
Brian