David Gameau wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Chadd [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Fri, May 11, 2007, David Gameau wrote:
I've made WPAD work but I've not made it work with a DHCP configuration. I've done mine with DNS.

Does anyone here have an example of a WPAD+DHCP configuration? If so I'd like to talk to you and document
it on the Wiki.

Here's what we use to support WPAD+DHCP:
[From dhcpd.conf, in the global section of the file]
  option option-252 code 252 = text;
  option option-252 "http://wpad.example.com/wpad.dat\n";;

Note that IE6 truncates the answer it gets (by dropping the
last character), which is why you need to include something
like '\n'.

I'm not sure whether Firefox supports DHCP for its autodiscovery.
Hm! How interesting. Do you have any tech references for that IE6
WPAD behaviour?

Adrian

I can't find the singular authoritative source for the problem.
However, this is probably the best explanation I could find.
[from
http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/web-browser-auto-proxy-c
onfiguration.html]

  "One caveat: Microsoft's Internet Explorer version 6.01 expects the
   string in option 252 to be NUL-terminated. As such, it
unconditionally
   strips off the final octet of the string before using it. Earlier
versions
   of Microsoft's Internet Explorer do not do this. To satisfy all
versions,
   simply explicitly include a NUL as the last octet of the string."

I can't find any notes for it in my configs but I'm sure I recall finding something even more devious than a single-octet truncation being done. My memories are of finding it would truncate "proxy.pac" => "proxy.pa" and others like "2007-proxy.pac" => "2007-pro"