Hi Brian,

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
I've upgraded from squid 2.6 to 3.0.PRE5-5 and now I am getting various
errors in my log.  For example:

20:32:58 squid storeSwapMetaUnpack: bad type (9)!
20:32:59 squid storeSwapMetaUnpack: bad type (9)!
20:33:02 squid storeSwapMetaUnpack: bad type (9)!
20:33:27 squid squidaio_queue_request: WARNING - Queue congestion
20:33:27 squid storeSwapMetaUnpack: bad type (9)!
20:33:40 squid storeSwapMetaUnpack: bad type (9)!
20:34:03 squid storeSwapMetaUnpack: bad type (9)!
20:36:02 squid storeSwapMetaUnpack: bad type (9)!
20:36:02 squid storeSwapMetaUnpack: bad type (9)!

Which storage scheme are you using for your cache?

There have been other messages but I don't have any others on hand right
now.  Perhaps all of my messages are related to the same issue and if I
can cure the above messages, the others will just go away.

Have you tried stopping Squid and manually restarting it?

You can try cleaning your cache_dirs and starting with a new cache.
Then check once again for any messages in your cache.log.

So, any idea what those messages above are trying to tell me?  Or what I
can do do gather further information?

I am not really sure what those messages mean but I have seen them at some point in time on my caches. I guess it's somehow related to storage corruption.

But my question is, are those messages which are appearing on your cache.log giving you problems like slowness in web browsing, errors while accessing web pages, etc?

Since Ubuntu still does not seem to have the latest Squid-3.0.RC1 binary packages, why don't you try downloading the squid-3.0.RC1 source package and compiling it?

http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.0/squid-3.0.RC1.tar.gz

You will have more control over Squid this way. Squid has one of the best FAQs, installation, wiki guides, etc, covering almost everything from installation to fine-tuning your cache.

Thanking you...

Thanx!

b.

--