On Dec 13, 2007, at 3:57 PM, Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:

Hi,

I have squid configured as a transparent proxy in front of application server (ApS). Data generated by ApS gets updated infrequently and sometimes ApS gets slow doing it's internal "housecleaning". What I want to do is for Squid to "fudge" response times a bit by timing out connections to ApS after, say 20s and using cached data instead (even if it's outdated). This would also help with ApS reboots so that data is available at all times regardless of
responsiveness or availability of ApS.

Looking through documentation and Google searches didn't bring up any relevant
information.

I do realize that this violates HTTP and is not widely applicable but in my
situation I can live with consequences (I think).

This is actually a feature we've been interested in as well. As far as I know, there's no way to do this in Squid right now, though it was discussed before by one of my co-workers and apparently there was a similar feature being developed, I don't know if that ever made it into the mainline code or not, I'm sure one of the developers can comment.

What we've done instead is leverage offline mode so that if the application servers get themselves into a state where they wont reply in a timely manner, the caches are automatically toggled into offline mode by a watchdog daemon. That might, depending on your configuration and your ability to monitor your application server's state, be an option you can consider in lieu of doing it entirely in Squid.

--Dave
Systems Administrator
Zope Corp.
540-361-1722