Hi all,

I'm facing an issue where we'd like to implement cache peering on our squid farms, primarily to leverage the combined disk capacity across all our boxes into a larger cache. I would presume that this requires the use of the proxy-only directive to avoid content duplication. However, this has raised the issue of server overload - there's a very real possibility that a single hot object, if it only lives on a single server, could overload that server with requests from all the other peers in the event of a flash crowd. I'd like to find some middle ground.

I'm wondering if there's a way to configure squid such that content retrieved from peers is cached locally, but for a much shorter period of time than content the cache retrieves directly. Is this possible within squid, or should this be a feature request?

-C