Leach, Shane - MIS Laptop wrote:
I currently have Samba 3.028 and Squid 7:2.6Stable set up to
authenticate Active Directory users to the proxy server.  I want the
proxy to be transparent though and it is not.
While testing some ideas I found on the Internet, I tried the following
command:
wbinfo -a DOMAIN\\USERNAME%PASSWORD and received a "No user found" message. I then tried the following: wbinfo -a USERNAME%PASSWORD and received a successful authentication. Whenever an Internet browser attempts to go to a website, the user is
prompted for a username and password.  They cannot enter it in this
format "DOMAIN\USERNAME" or they will receive a failure.  Instead, they
have to enter like "USERNAME".

My guess is it's due to the fact you have specified "winbind use default domain = yes" in smb.conf. It automatically adds the default domain in front of the passed username, so XP is sending DOMAIN\USERNAME and Samba is trying to authenticate DOMAIN\DOMAIN\USERNAME.

Again, that's just a guess. My experience with Windows Domains is limited, but considering the fact that the username alone works, while DOMAIN\Username doesn't...

It occurs to me that the actual user that is logged into XP is
"DOMAIN\USERNAME" rather than the other... is there a way to have Samba
recognize this?  I am wanting to get rid of the login required.
Thank you in advance for your assistance. Shane

Chris