I've got squid running as a reverse proxy, terminating HTTPS requests and forwarding them to HTTP(S) servers on the inside. I've now gotten a request to use this same proxy to load balance requests between multiple internal servers. It looks like you can do this by specifying two "cache_peer" lines with different IP's, and putting the "round-robin" flag on them, like this:

cache_peer InsideIP1 parent 80 0 no-query originserver login=PASS
name=InsideName-peer round-robin
cache_peer InsideIP2 parent 80 0 no-query originserver login=PASS
name=InsideName-peer round-robin

Using this setup, what will happen if one of those servers goes down? Will half of the requests fail, or will squid transparently resend the request to the working server?

Is there any way to specify automatic connection persistence, where all requests from a certain client will go to the same back end server so as to maintain session state & the like? I don't want to split them up manually using ACL's; I want squid to do this for me while allowing for down servers (see above).
begin:vcard
fn:Ben Hollingsworth
n:Hollingsworth;Ben
org:BryanLGH Health System;Information Technology
adr:;;1600 S. 48th St.;Lincoln;NE;68506;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Systems Programmer
tel;work:402-481-8582
tel;fax:402-481-8354