B. Cook wrote:
Morning all,

I am running squid 2.6.stable18 from FreeBSD ports. (FreeBSD 6.x and 7.x)

I have two questions..

1) regarding coss.

I have enabled coss as shown in the squid faq and all seems to be working wonderfully.

I had some questions about the cache_swap_log so I was reading squid.conf.default in my squid dir (/usr/local/etc/squid again from FreeBSD ports..)

I found that it said that cache_swap_log was mandatory.. I also saw

That is flat wrong.
cache_swap_log - debugging log useful only if you have filesystem problems you need to debug.

cache_log - cache operational log. Needed for critical errors and general problem warnings.

 access_log - needed to keep track of squid processed requests.

None of which are mandatory. But the last two are recommended for a variety of reasons. The administration usefulness being a big one.

<snip>

2) regarding syslog.conf and file rotation

I know I can setup -k rotate from cron and that will rotate squid's current cache_log, but how would I compress it?

To compress it you would need a wrapper script which runs runs the -k rotate, then compresses the resulting access_log.0 into a new filename (usually dated files is a good idea).

I have looked back through the gmane archives of squid-users and I do not see anyone that answered this question directly.. and even a google search didn't turn up much of anything useful. Or am I just missing something basic with a syslog.conf parameter?

thanks in advance and I am sorry if another form of these questions were asked/answered; I couldn't find anything like them.

again thanks in advance