In my squid installation I use an IPtables based firewall to stop all
traffic from the end user subnets from flowing to the internet.
Servers are able to communicate to update things like NTP and DNS but
clients get their NTP and DNS for internal sources only.  Only the
squid server is allowed to communicate with the internet and since it
has authenication (as has been suggested by others) no one who doesn't
have a username and password can browse the internet without
authorization.  It has the added bonus of limiting the internet
traffic to things that are truly necessary since applications can't
phone home (especially nice for things like trojans) and things like
DNS queries are cached.  Since only squid can communicate with the
internet changing proxy servers or trying to tunnel out has no effect
since the traffic is simply denied.

Luke Taylor