Well, I solved my DNS problems. BIND was in fact killing squid with it's errors
(IPC can be a PITA sometimes). pdnsd is working great.

I have verified that the 3128 redirect command is working. Accessing the server
from a Linux client with lynx shows the hits in cache.log. lynx follows the
standards. I still do not have IE7 or Firefox hitting the cache, though. I feel
a little odd asking this, as I'm positive that there are thousands out there
with these two browsers working just fine on redirect, but apparently I need to
sniff out every port that either browser ever uses for regular TCP requests and
redirect those. Does anyone know what those ports are? I could eventually find
out, but it would take a good chunk of time (that I don't have) with tcpdump.

Thanks for any help.