I have Squid Version 2.5.STABLE14 running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS
release 4 as a basic caching web proxy with a couple filters. It's being used
for student computer labs so that the students cannot access MySpace or
Facebook from the labs (and to provide caching, of course).

When multiple students try to access the same site (for example, an instructor
tells a whole class to go to geographynetwork.com, or a class takes an online
exam using WebCT), many/most end up with their connection timing out. Taking
them off Squid fixes the problem. This happens with as few as 8 clients (I
haven't tested less than 8) trying to access the same site.

How can I troubleshoot this problem? I searched the mailing list archives and
google, but failed to find an answer.