You will always get 407 replies with NTLM authentication.  It is just how the
protocol is designed.

> I presume that the behavior "wait until I ask for auth credentials" is
> necessary for the complete functionality, so Squid just ignores the
> info that´s initially sent.

Apt as in the Debian apt tool?  I have a variety of Debian boxes (used to be
Sarge, now Etch and Lenny) that authenticate to squid via NTLM, and this "just
works" for me:

Set up an /etc/apt/apt.conf file like this:

Acquire::http::Proxy "http://username:passw...@10.11.12.13:3128/";;

Where username and password are for a service account you create in active
directory.  You can use a human's account, but the password will be in
plaintext with the apt.conf file, so I don't suggest it.  Easier to create a
service account and then just tightly lock it down in AD.  (All you need is
that the squid proxy can authenticate to it.)

And of course 10.11.12.13:3128 is whatever IP address/port your Squid lives on.

If you've already done this and it doesn't work, maybe there's a typo.  I've
used apt with NTLM for years and it has been rock solid.

And of course if it is another apt you're talking about, none of this applies.
:)

James