Henrique M. wrote:

twinturbo-2 wrote:
Also what version are you running? is this a hand crafted config or one
borrowed from somwhere else?

Post up the confg from lines 66 to 106

Rob

I was running the default squid for ubuntu server 8.10 which is the version
2.7 stable. I'm using the default squid.conf that was installed together
with squid 2.7 and I don't really know if I need these command lines or not,
so for now I can comment them to see if I can get squid to work.

Okay. Since they were obsoleted by 2.6 you don't. The bigger issue is how you got a config like that out of a 2.7 bundle!

In the meantime, since squid 2.7 wasn't working I installed squid3 and tried
to run it, which also didn't work, but this time it only gave me a "fail"
message, it doesn't describes what it wrong.

I would like to keep the newer version of squid installed instead of moving
to the old one again, could you guys tell me where squid3 keep its error
messages?

'error messages' in web terminology means something completely different which can be 'kept'.

I assume you mean where doe sit send the startup error output? That is usually sent to syslog by Debian/Ubuntu during init process and then when squid is going to the /var/logs/squid3/cache.log

Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.6