Phillip Pi wrote:
Hello.

I got Squid v2.7 stable 6 installed and working in a Windows XP Pro. SP2 machine, with its IIS, as a proxy server. I can make clients' web browsers (e.g., IE and Firefox in Windows XP), go through this proxy server with no problems.

I am wondering if I can use Squid to do the same proxy for network devices (e.g., onboard network). I would like to be able to set up PCs' Internet access instead of web browsers.

Thank you in advance. :)

The use of Squid as HTTP proxy is limited only individual app or devices capabilities.

On windows XP the command "proxycfg -u" IIRC is sufficient to get the MS-produced apps using the same settings as IE, whether they are proxy or not.

I've heard tell of people using ActiveDirectory to push out proxy settings to all machines in a controlled network environment, mayhap an expert on that will say how if you need it.

Other devices and apps you will have to check out individually and see what can be done.

As a fallback for the really limited apps there is always interception at the network gateway device. Though this has a whole other set of problems and should only be considered as a last resort.

Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.7