Tech W. wrote:
Hello,

I have the apache which enables directory authentification.
for example, I have this auth config for apache:

in httpd.conf:
〈Directory /home/ftp/pub>
Options Indexes
AllowOverride AuthConfig
order allow,deny
allow from all
〈/Directory>

in .htaccess:
authname "shared files"
authtype basic
authuserfile /*/.password
require valid-user

When someone access apache's that directory, it will open a prompting window
for inputing username and password.

But, if I set a Squid reverse-proxy before apache, and when people access that
same directory through squid, the prompting window will not be opened, people
have no chance to input username and password.

Add "login=PASS" to your cache_peer line.

From http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.0/cfgman/cache_peer.html...

use 'login=PASS' if users must authenticate against
                     the upstream proxy or in the case of a reverse proxy
                     configuration, the origin web server.  This will pass
                     the users credentials as they are to the peer.
                     This only works for the Basic HTTP authentication scheme.

I'm using squid3.0-stable13 and Linux with kernel 2.6.
Please help. Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Chris