Richard Chapman wrote:
I have a more or less default configured squid 2.6 proxy on a centos 5.4 server. I have configured AVG 9 network edition (Virus scanner) to use the squid proxy (as opposed to the avg proxy) - and it appears to be doing so. However - checking the usage logs - it appears that different client machines download identical update (.bin) files within a few hours of each other - but do not appear to get a cache hit..

Can anyone suggest why these update files are not being cached (or at least not getting cache hits) - and whether there is anything I can do to encourage them to be cached?

I have checked the Squid FAQ and searched the archive - and found a similar request from 2005. The suggestion there was that the AVG server might be using the

"Pragma: no-cache" HTTP header

To be sure take the URL that should be a HIT and enter it at redbot.org.
The whole problems should be easily visible there.

And that at that time there was no suggestion on how to override this. Can anyone confirm that this is the reason for the apparently unnecessary cache misses - and if so - is there anything new in squid to allow us to override?

Squid which do not ignore "Pragma: no-cache" treat it the same as "Cache-Control: no-cache"

Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.15