Hi,

I need an expert opinion on best suitable setup for my requirement. I am running shorewall 4.4 on RHEL 5 for NATTING/FIREWALLING. I've installed SQUID-3.0STABLE20-1 on that same machine as well. Shorewall is REDIREC-ing port 80 traffic to squid. Currently Squid was running in transparent mode until I found that almost all users were having very frequent breaks in internet. I configured client browsers with squid-server address as http proxy with port squid was running on. This worked and internet problem solved. My question is that is that a common problem with squid running in transparent mode with shorewall? When I've configured client browsers with http proxy address, now it is no more a transparent proxy, is it? so should i change it to non-transparent mode? What is the main advantage / drawback of running squid in transparent/non-transparent mode?

Any insight here or through any article on internet is well appriciated!

--

Regards,

Asim Ahmed Khan