Gerrit Berkouwer wrote:
Hello everyone,

we want to use Squid-3.1 with ecap support to enable the external gzip
module on our high performance/high availability website.
We want to use GZIP because we think this will improve performance for
our end-users, following the 'high-performance website' rules of Steve
Souders of Google, gzipping content being one of those rules.

Are there any users on this list that use GZIP with Squid for this
reason? If so, how do you manage this? With the Squid-ecap-gzip module
at http://code.google.com/p/squid-ecap-gzip/?

Any thoughts on using GZIP and Squid for high performance high
availability websites? is GZIP worthwhile with todays broadband
connections of clients?

I believe the benefits of compression come when pre-zipping content on the web server. As in: two static versions of every file stored.

There seem to be several people using the gzip eCAP module. One has reported that it slows traffic down in their high-speed setup. As can kind of be expected when adding extra processing mid-transit.
So test well before deploying.

Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.16