Well i want to make sure that my settings are optimized and want to learn more
about the cache_dir settings.....let me come in details

I have installed squid3stable24 on Ubuntu 8.04 on IBM 3650 X series server with
two hard disks on which physical RAID1 is implemented. I am to use the Squid
Server for 1000 users out of which 250 are power usrs rest of them are normal
users for which there are many
restrictions(youtube,facebook,msnmessgenger,yahoomessenger,mp3mpg etc...).

I have done my settings specifically to ensure that windows updates are cached
and my maximum_object_size is 256 mb. Also i am looking forward to cache
Youtube content(for which i have no updated script and settings so far the one
on internet is with storeurl directive which is depricated).......

Now my cache directory size is 50 gb with 16 L1 and 256 L2. I think better
would be

Cache_dir_size aufs 50 GB 48(L1) 768(L2)

as far as L1 & L2 settings i am clear that there should be no more than around
100 file in L2 directories so one's settings should be adjusted accordingly.
However i am confused that if setting your cache (50gb) of too large a size
will have anything to do with your performance. Secondly at the moment the
cache directory is implemented on the same hard drive on which OS is installed.
I know that cache should be better moved to a spare hard drive. But what about
the highavailability? Failure of a disk cud result in the failure of proxy?

Another confusion which i have is that what about the cahe_effective_user i hav
set my user

cache_effective_user proxy but i dont have much concepts about it. I have read
on SAN institute site a white paper published 2003 that squid should not be run
as nobody user but as a sandbox user with noshell. However i am not sure what
is it all about and whether this informaiton is still valid after 7 years have
been passed.

Please also guide me that what are the risks involved with this setting which i
have done for windows update:

range_offset_limit -1
maximum_object_size 256 MB
quick_abort_min -1

Further after giving squid too many longs list of blocked site say containg
100+ sites. I have noticed that its slowed down however i am not sure that if
it is the reason? please guide......

Please guide in detail it will be really beneficial for me as concept
building...i would be really thankful..

regards,