a...@gmail wrote:
Hello all
I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove a proxy from a linux system

I haven't added the proy to any files, but everytime I try for instance to connect it keeps searching for the proxy
I initially added the proxy with

export http://proxy:port

Not valid syntax for setting the system proxy variables.

Now when I do unset http_proxy I can connect to the internet and do the apt-get and use synaptic without a problem but if I reboot the machine it comes back again, unless I unset the proxy manually everytime

does anyone know where I can remove it from an Ubuntu hardy based system please?

Find the place you configured it and remove.

The menu entry:
 "System" -> "Preferences" -> "Network Proxy"
is the proper place to set it in Ubuntu with GUI.

/etc/profile is where system-wide exports are set on command line boxes.

~/.profile for per-user settings on command line boxes.

If you have not set it there, $DEITY only knows what you did.

Please be using