Khaled Blah wrote:
Sorry for my late reply, Henrik. I want to be able to use an empty
realm because we use Digest Auth in conjunction with an LDAP backend.
In this LDAP backend the admin can specifiy combinations of
to either <password> or <H(A1)> standing by themselves. We want to
support this latter case as well and the empty realm would make that a
lot easier.

Regards,
Khaled

Unless I'm confused and mixing up my protocols ... the realm is used as salting value and HA(1) is compared to a hash sent by the user combining realm+user+password. Very hard for the user to generate a secure hash correctly when the realm salt is empty.

Amos