Hi, all - about to play with an approach to something, and I was hoping to
bounce the idea off people here - pls let me know if that's not strictly within
bounds/intents of the mailing list (new here).  This is close to the same
concept as discussed here with a D.Veenker, in an exchange in April/2010 -- but
not quite the same.

Is it possible to use Squid to create an ssh-tunnel effect, including use of a
client certificate?  This would be to layer in SSL and client authentication,
for applications and web servers for which (for reasons I won't go into here)
it's not possible to reconfigure/recode to use SSL.

Concept would be to run Squid as a reverse proxy on the server, configured to
do 2-way SSL (and doing HTTP to the parent server); then also run Squid on the
client in standard proxy mode, likewise configured for 2-way SSL, pointing at a
user's certificate via sslproxy_client_key.

Constraints I see are that multiple users couldn't be using the solution on the
PC at the same time; and Squid would have to be restarted (or whatever the
Windows equivalent of a squid -k reconfigure is, I still have to figure that
out) to establish the tunnel.

Does this seem feasible?  Are there any potential gotchas that we should make
sure we test early on, in attempting to achieve this?

Thanks!

----
David G. Bucci
301.240.4885