----- "Amos Jeffries" <squ...@treenet.co.nz> wrote:

> Um, ACK means *something* accepted the connection and responded to the
>
> client box. All things working that should have been Squid.

This is the part the puzzles me. I'm not sure what is accepting it, if not
squid.

> The usual source of this behaviour is admin overlooking the fact that
> the
>
> Squid box in these setups is a router (which *happens* to only route
> port
>
> 80 traffic passed in by the WCCP, but still routing). It requires
> packet
>
> forwarding to be working and rp_filter to be disabled.
>

> By "I enable proxy to 72.2.0.4:80"  do you mean configuring the
> browser to
>
> use a proxy at 72.2.0.4:80 ?
>
> Or that you configure Squid to listen on 72.2.0.4:80 ?

I change the browser to use proxy, and it works fine. No changes made on the
squid box.

I have been advised to get a tcpdump from the client, which I will do next. I
will look into rp_filter setting also.

===

Sorry, that last reply was meant for the list. I checked into the rp_filter
setting:

net.ipv4.conf.lo.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.default.arp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.eth0.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.eth0.arp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.eth1.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.eth1.arp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.gre0.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.gre0.arp_filter = 0

Also, the tcpdump from the client shows nothing coming back to it, just the
outgoing SYN.

Regards,

Shawn Wright
I.T. Manager, Shawnigan Lake School