Em 28/08/2010 12:29, Andrei escreveu:

I'm setting up a transparent Squid box for 300 users. All requests
from the router are sent to the Squid box. Squid box has one NIC,
eth0. This box receives requests (from clients) and catches content
from the web using this one NIC on its one WAN port, eth0.

Question: would it improve performance of the Squid box if I was
receiving requests (from the clients) on eth0 and caching content on
eth1? In other words, is there a benefit of using two NIC's vs. one?
This is a public IP/WAN Squid box. Both eth0 and eth1 would have a WAN
(public IP) address.

I'm on a 12Mb line.

Your limitation is your 12Mb line .... any decent hardware can handle that with no problem at all. ANY 100Mbit NIC, even onboard and cheapers/generics one, can handle 12Mbit with no problem at all.

i really dont think adding another NIC will improve your performance, given your 12Mbit WAN limitation.

--

        Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
        Leonardo Rodrigues

        gertru...@solutti.com.br