On 17/09/10 23:14, GIGO . wrote:

I have configured my proxy servers in two regions for backup internet path of
each other by declaring the following directives.

Directives on Proxy A:

cache_peer A parent 8080 0 proxy-only
prefer_direct on
nonhierarchical_direct off
cache_peer_access A allow all

Directives on Proxy B:

cache_peer B parent 8080 0 proxy-only
prefer_direct on
nonhierarchical_direct off
cache_peer_access B allow all

Is there a way that whenever a peer cache is used an email alert is generated
to the admins.

Not from Squid. That is a job for network availability software.

You could hack up a script to scan squid access.log for the peer hierarchy codes (DIRECT or FIRST_UP_PARENT etc) being used.

Note that the setting is only "prefer" _direct. It can go to the peer with perfectly working network access if the origin web server simply takes too long to reply to a connect attempt.

Please be using
  Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.2