On 09/29/2010 10:20 AM, Helmut Hullen wrote:
Hallo, GravyFace,

Du meintest am 29.09.10:

The issue is that squid does not seem to be restarting gracefully,
regardless of whether I use /etc/init.d/squid restart or service
squid restart: it failed with (something like) unknown process which
to me implies that squid wasn't running, even though I knew it was as
I was using the proxy through a browser several moments before
editing the whitelist (and why I asked if editing the whitelist file
would've stopped the process, unlikely as that would be).

Then try

         squid -X -k debug

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut

While I don't agree that he should have squid send a SIG1 or HUP directly I need to ask, which version of squid are you using? squid -k reconfigure will only work on legacy squid, if you are using the new squid from the repo (squid3) then the command is: squid3 -k reconfigure or distro specific service squid3 reload (which will send a SIG1 with start-stop-daemon and log messages).