On 09/12/10 23:14, karj wrote:
Hello list we have
two squid  SERVERS (sibling) running Squid 2.7.STABLE9
Serving almost all our static content
 From what I can see squid is performing well considering the amount of
traffic (*)
Our only problem is that we have too many time wait conn..

TIME_WAIT are FD which have been finished with but are in a TCP timeout in case there are stray packets still somewhere in the network. Somewhat around 5 minutes IIRC. Sockets (FD) cannot be re-used until there is no chance of stray packets corrupting the next TCP connection to use them.

63110 TIME_WAIT
12 CLOSE_WAIT
108 CLOSING
372 ESTABLISHED
449 FIN_WAIT1
104 FIN_WAIT2
  19 LAST_ACK
    7 LISTEN
141 SYN_RECV

Note that we have set the following parameters on squid.conf

half_closed_clients off
server_persistent_connections off
client_persistent_connections off

... forcing Squid to close the FDs and open two new ones for every request received. To the tune of on avg 11,700 per minute. Take a guess why your FD are being churned through so fast.

You need to tune TCP carefully to handle the fast socket turnover with a lower TIME_WAIT delay.

As well as enable persistent connections again, with a shorter than default pconn timeout. This will allow clients with multiple things to fetch to only consume a few FD.

Please be using
  Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.3