On 13/01/11 16:39, Robert Pipca wrote:
Hi all,

I'm using a single AUFS cache_dir with 800GB on a RAID-0, 3 15K RPM disks.

On peak hours it doesn't work very well, now that it has around 80GB
of files (200,000 objects). The mean object size is 400KB.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/RAID

see the section on what RAID-0 does to Squid.

I've been reading on how I can improve performance on peak hours, and
I'm considering spreading on a few cache_dirs with:

Do it. Converting the RAID-0 into single-disk cache_dir will get you some performance gain all by itself.

store_dir_select_algorithm round-robin

I'm thinking about doing around 10 80GB cache_dirs...

Does anybody knows if it can help?

You says "3 15K RPM disks". Squid operates best with one cache_dir per spindle (aka physical disk). I recommend 2 or 3 cache_dir, matching the disks you have.

Please be using
  Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.4