On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:28:29 +0100, guest01 wrote:
Hi,

We had to bypass the kerberos authentication for now (most of the
users will be authenticated by IP (there are already more than 10000
unique IPs in my Squid logs). iirc, disabling the replay cache did not
help much. There is a load avg of 0.4 right now (authenticating about
9000 users per IP and 1000 with Kerberos) with approx 450 RPS (2
strong servers), which looks pretty good.

What do you think? Can SMP functionality of Squid 3.2 reduce our load
problem significantly? At the moment, we have multiple independent
squid processes per server (4 squid instances, 16 cpus), but I don't
see any way (except adding more hardware) to authenticate >10000 with
Kerberos.

SMP will help with the management of those 4 instances on each machine, dropping it to one config file they all work from and one SNMP contact port one cachemgr contact port etc. But I think total load, helper process count and cache duplication problems will remain unchanged with the current SMP capabilities.