On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:18:04 +0200, John Down wrote:
Hi,

We had the same problem, WMP just sucks ... We were using WMP 10.x on
WinXP and Kerberos-Authentication did not work. Btw, we also have the
problem with Java-Applications.
I cannot offer a solution, just a very insecure workaround ... WMP
will be authenticated by it's User-Agent, which can easily be spoofed.
Functionality over security, which makes me very unhappy, but I have
no other choice ...

regards,
Peter

If you have Windows XP SP2 you might need this:
 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;885887

or following Marcus advice.

Java applications have a well-known dislike for auth of all kinds. So likely a separate issue. WMP _should_ be just fine.