On 6/11/2011 12:50 a.m., Benjamin wrote:
 Hi Amos,

While we are looking for cache_dir consideration , does a single big directory is better or multiple directory with good amount of size is better while we are looking for performance ?

Multiple physical disks with cache_dir on each is best. That offers the most parallal reads/writes. Unless you are adding COSS or Rock storage cache_dir its not worth placing multiple cache_dor on one HDD. Total size of any given UFS cache_dir seems not to matter as much as parallelism on the disk I/O.

And i tried to find from internet that which is better for cache_dir file system ext3 / ext4 / reseizerfs ( in terms of heavy loaded systems ) ?

Disabling the journalling actions and atime updating is best for all of the above. I have not seen any recent speed benchmarks comparing them. If you base speed on the more generic benchmarks be aware Squid disk access has a unusually high portion of writes.

Whenever i m trying to find how many squid processes are running i got,

pgrep squid
8311
8313

it means squid always has 2 squid processes. Can we increase it for high performance.?

One of those will be the master process. One will be the actual worker process.

You can run as many pairs of mster+worker as you like on a box. Though we dont recommend running more than one worker per CPU. See http://wiki.squid-cache.org/MultipleInstances for the relevant config details for 3.1 and older. If you have squid-3.2 there is a link there to the SMP support page.