On 12/11/2011 1:02 a.m., feralert wrote:
On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 1:22 AM, Amos Jeffries<squ...@treenet.co.nz>  wrote:
On 11/11/2011 4:16 a.m., feralert wrote:
As a workaround (thanks to Radoslaw, who came up with the idea) I have
done this:

I added an entry for www.citibank.com pointing to the working server
ip into /etc/hosts, then added "hosts_file /etc/hosts" into
squid.conf.

It works for the time being, but is not a final solution.
NP: You should not have had to mark /etc/hosts in squid.conf (one less place
to undo later), unless the file is in a strange location.
I'm not sure if I undestand your tip.
Do you mean that I can get rid of "/etc/hosts" argument to the
"hosts_file" directive because that is actually the default setting
for "hosts_file"?, or you mean that I can get rid of the whole
directive since squid already takes into account the entries in
/etc/hosts by default?

Yes.

You should not need the whole line because it is the default value.

Removing just the value will tell Squid *not* to use the hosts file at all (or kill Squid with a bungled config, one or the other).