On 26.06.2012 21:51, Jasper Van Der Westhuizen wrote:
I don't think that is the problem.. If I ftp directly from the squid
server to my test ftp site, it works fine.

"ftp" program is using native FTP protocol directly to the remote site. OK.

Via a browser it works fine.

browser is sending proxy ftp:// URLs and letting Squid perform native FTP protocol directly to the remote site. OK.

Only when using a FTP client, such as FileZilla for example, it
fails..

FileZilla wraps individual FTP connection data in HTTP CONNECT *message* and sends to the HTTP proxy to make a *TCP* connection to the FTP server. OK in theory. however, each FTP channel requires a new request and data connections use random ports.... Breakage whenever the CONNECT is limited to specific ports (just about everywhere).

To proxy FTP well you need an FTP proxy. + FTP was designed not to be proxied. There is one called frox proxy which handles FTP with some tricks.