On 7/3/2012 5:05 AM, Ezequiel Birman wrote:
"Eliezer" == Eliezer Croitoru <elie...@ngtech.co.il> writes:

     > hey there Ezequiel, the Cisco RV042 is a nice product but..  100
     > users on this device might not be the problem.  i think that the
     > main problem is the wan connections them-self.  if it's a cable
     > line with 6 and 3 Mbps bandwidth is the problem and not routing.
     > 100 users means that each user gets about 9 Kbps if will be
     > divided equally.  in the case that most of your bandwidth usage is
     > http the squid can help you.  i would first make a basic analysis
     > of the network traffic and make sure what is consuming the speed.
     > instead of doing some tricks and replacing the RV02 i would start
     > with linux bridge between the switch and the RV042.

I think you are right, and since upload speeds are even slower that must
be the culprit.

     > you can use this box to analyze the network traffic and with just
     > 2 nics.  also you can block p2p using ipp2p iptables module and
     > use squid+trpoxy to serv cache content.

     > i have used this setup with ubuntu before and it made the effect!.
     > today ubuntu 12.04 LTS will give you everything you need.  if you
     > want you can add snmp and other tools for graphing and other
     > stuff..

     > with squid as bridge you do not need to bother yourself with the
     > wan settings\load balancing and setting the linux box as dhcp or
     > routing stuff.  what i would recommend for you in this kind of
     > setup is to make the squid box as dns server(cache and forward
     > dns).

 From what I gather, squid is capable of caching DNS right? or will I
need bind too?
you need also bind because the clients will query the server and not squid.. squid has an internal dns cache.

     > using this setup you can test settings very easily on part of the
     > clients or test computer.

     > for network usage analysis you can use ntop, it also gives p2p and
     > other protocols detection.

I am trying it right now, nice!

     > so the setup i propose is not from your list:

     > 5) wan1---+--------+ +------------+ |
     > RV042 |---|squid\bridge|--switch-+--[lan clients]
     > wan2---+--------+ +------------+

     > - RV042 = LB and wan gatway.  - squid = brdige + NTOP + p2p
     > block\throttling + http cache

Thanks, I am giving it a try.

I'll start by following

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/DebianWithRedirectorAndReporting

this is a good way to start but it wont be a transparent proxy but a "nat" proxy but it can be good for your needs as anyway you have nat in the RV042.

which seems similar to what i am trying to achive. If I am mistaken,
please let me know.

and also most of
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Tproxy4
tproxy will ggive you the benefit of some graphing tools with a more accurate vision on your clients requests.

update me

Regards,
Eliezer

     > things you should consider about pfsense and ClearOS: - they do
     > have nice web interface but lack updated software.  - they take up
     > from your machine more then you need.  - they leave you in the big
     > cloud of "what to h### happen when i did apply???"

     > about accessing the squid in this setup the box is behind nat so
     > it's ok and if you will every decide that you want the squid to
     > take over the RV042 LB and dhcp you can just use iptables to block
     > access to squid port or bind squid only to local net port and
     > of-course the basic way of acls to allow only local users access.

     > about content filtering: i prefer to use squidguard and not
     > danshguardian.  there always the option of using some icap server
     > such as qlprpxy.

     > about cache: i have composed a nice method to cache youtube and
     > some other dynamic content video sites using icap and squid.  (now
     > working on embedding filtering in my icap server based on public
     > blacklists.)

May be I'll try that after basic http :)

     > it's a nice project you have there.

     > i will be happy to talk with you about it.

     > Regards, Eliezer

     > -- Eliezer Croitoru https://www1.ngtech.co.il IT consulting for
     > Nonprofit organizations eliezer <at> ngtech.co.il

Thanks for sharing your insights.

--
Eliezer Croitoru
https://www1.ngtech.co.il