On 9/11/2012 1:39 a.m., Dieter Bloms wrote:
Hi,

I want to run squid with several workers and when I start squid without
-N option, then I see all the workers and it works as expected.
But I use the daemontools from Danial Bernstein to start and monitor the
proccesses. This tool requires, that the proccesses don't go in
background.

I think it must be possible to start the master proccess in foreground
(-N option) and this master manages the workers in background.

Squid does this allready with the auth and session helpers for years, so
why does the -N option prevent squid from starting more workers ?

Because -N means run in the foreground without daemons and workers are daemons. upstart, daemontools and other daemon-managers are not able to re-start workers when they are hidden away in the background and do not play nicely when there is another manager process than themselves.

The auth helpers etc are sub-programs run as sub-processes nor forked like workers are so they do not clash with whatever service manager is in use.