On 10/29/2013 06:30 PM, WorkingMan wrote:
The short answer is I need a transparent proxy (url rewrite and traffic
inspection) behind VPN (going for the security not for speed; cache will not
be used; proxy only).
This is maybe squid area

Amazon VPC - 10.0.0.0/16 (subnet goes under that CIDR)
VPN client - ex: iphone (10.100.0.0/16 virtual pool)
vpn   - 10.0.1.2
squid - 10.0.1.3 (in practice it would go under 10.0.2.0/24 and use NAT to
go to WAN but for making this simpler I use the same subnet)

I am not very good with linux networking so I think most of the issue is
with networking and routing.
Not related to squid but a tiny leap to help with can happen.

My first attempt using VPC with this setup ended up with VPN client not able
to access anywhere. I suspect routing was not correct because I can see DNS
request and answer and some traffic going to the web site but there is no
response coming back to the client.
Masquarade is what you are looking for.(iptables and MASQUARDE)

I am using (similar steps in both guides):
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/TransparentProxy-6.html
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.squid.html

I am in the process of re configuring from scratch. If you have sure way of
making this work let me know. basically VPN setup is not an issue but
routing traffic to remote SQUID server and back is something that I am not
able to do successfully.
Depends on the VPN client..
What VPN client have you used until now?

Eliezer